If you ever come to Haiti, which I highly suggest you do, the first thing a child from our orphanage will ask you is, When are you leaving? They are smart kids and want to know the exact extent they can get attached. I was always happy to announce, "Kid, you got me for four months".
Now they ask me, When are you leaving? Two weeks. And then they ask, Why? Why are you leaving?
Why? That is such a tricky question.
Actually, Why? is the trickiest question of all! Think about it, Who? What? Where? When?... Why? That is the kicker.
Why? Um... to be with my family... oh wait... you don't have family.
Why? Um... because America is my home... oh right, you don't have a home.
Why? Um... Starbucks red cups... What is Starbucks?
Why? I really miss my Uggs... DON'T even get me started on shoes!
I really haven't come up with a good answer to the Why? question besides- because it is the right thing to do. But you really can't explain that to those big brown eyes staring at you looking for a valid answer.
To be honest, I am extremely sad and torn about leaving this land that I love (many more posts to come on this topic, I promise). But I am chomping at the bit to take a hot shower, eat a spinach salad, use my iphone, wear a pair of cute jeans and not kill a mosquito every 15 minutes. Should I feel guilty about this? At this point, I don't. Perhaps I will...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete(((((((((Kaitlyn)))))))))))
ReplyDeleteI went to Haiti in April of this year and totally felt the same way about leaving.
As much as I wanted to stay and be with the family I had made while I was working at God's Littlest Angels (GLA) Orphanage I knew I need to get home and deal with my life here in the States.
That being said there hasn't been a day since I left that I haven't thought about Haiti and my GLA family.
I very much am looking forward to the day that I get to go back to the country that has captured every bit of my heart!
I am praying that your next two weeks in our beloved Haiti will be a blessing to you and those you are serving and that your transition back to the States goes smoothly.
God bless!
Loving God, Loving Haiti
Kelly D <>< :)
So sweet Kaitlyn,
ReplyDeleteThis absolutely makes me cry..... I say the same thing daily....but opposite.."Lord why am I living here?" " I count ALL things as loss for greater value for knowing Jesus Christ.... my life is no longer my own I have been bought with THe most costly price , the price of the Blood of the Lamb.. our Jesus....yet now I wait, saying, "Lord, not my Will Thy Will be done"...Surrendered to His Call... Love you soooo much joy xox
KD's Corner- thank you for the encouragement. And thank you for your prayers. The trip home will be bittersweet. I know that Haiti will always hold a strong grip on BOTH OUR hearts. God Bless this place.
ReplyDeleteJoy- A friend shared this verse with me today- "Depart, depart go out from there! Touch no unclean thing! Come out from it and be pure, you who carry the vessels of the Lord. But you will not leave in haste or go in flight; for the Lord will go before you, and the God of Israel will be your rear guard." Isaiah 52:11-12. The verse and your encouragement were a blessing today. Thank you for your support and love. It is so true- my life is His and I follow Him where He leads me.