I have always thought any of my jogs in Haiti could be plenty of material for a hefty blog post.
Black diesel smog filling my lungs. (ionic that I could be getting lung cancer while trying to stay healthy) Potholes in the "road" as deep as my knee cap. (again, ironic that I could break a leg while trying to build muscle tone) And trash piles to my left and right. (not ironic- just gross) I really don't know why I bother, since I can't even go that far from the house anyways. Brooke and I usually just end up taking laps. Which means we encounter Haitians staring and mocking us- not once, but 2-3 times. They seriously look at us like we have 9 heads. "What in the world are they doing? Poor Americans, have to exercise because you eat too much. Tragic" We usually have some guy start running along side of us- mocking us of course. Or a gaggle of child in tow- following those bizarre "blancs".
But never-the-less we go because it is a grasp to our old ways. And Brooke can't be saving the world ALL the time, right?? (just kidding)
Thought you should see what our runs look like...
Sorry it is so pixelly and jumpy ( I WAS running, filming and avoiding strange men emerging from potholes all at the same time).
But you get the idea right?
For some reason the video didn't work but I love the post. You right tho' dang American's have to exercise because we eat too much. That must be so weird for them to grasp.
ReplyDeleteYou're also right about not being to save the world "ALL" the time :) so enjoy your run.
Oh man. This is good stuff. I am sure Brooke appreciates a running buddy. I love the video it screams TIH :)
ReplyDeleteSO amazing. SO are you. I loved it. I love you.
ReplyDelete