Sunday, October 24, 2010

Church and Cholera

Haitian Church

Attended Haitian Church today as opposed to the American church we normally attend. Brooke used to care for a neighborhood woman dying of breast cancer and she eventually lost the fight. Brooke became close with the family over the year and they invited us to church with them. (isn't Brooke a rockstar? You can follow her here)

I thoroughly enjoyed all THREE HOURS of the OUTDOOR Haitian service IN CREOLE.  I especially enjoyed having to stand, not once but twice in front of the congregation and THEN being called to the front to speak about ourselves. Not surprisingly, it isn't scary to public speak when no one understands any English. With my sudden boldness, I refrained from the temptation to grab the mic and teach them Blessed be the Name of the Lord in English. Next time.

Haitians when they pray: Put their arms over their head and wave their hands in the air- like they are waving their best friend over to come sit next to them (which literally I guess that is what you are doing when you pray). You try....

Speaking of prayer...

CHOLERA: Thank you all for your concern and emails. The cholera has yet to hit P-A-P (only 5 contained cases).

Please keep praying.


If it does happen to hit P-A-P it will be extremely devastating to those who have already lost and suffered so much. This town is terrified. Absolutely terrified. It is all anyone can talk about. We heard about it at church, at lunch, on the streets. Our children here are scared but they are mostly scared for their families who are still living in tents- no access to clean water. I was told today that the tent city around the corner from my home holds 5,000 earthquake victims. That is only ONE tent city. I can't imagine how fast the disease would rip through the tents.

Keep praying.



Whatever you ask in my name, this I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask me anything in my name, I will do it.


No comments:

Post a Comment