Thursday, September 23, 2010

my apologies for being absent the past few days. I have been on the 'Haitian diet plan'. Not to worry, Nurse Brooke took good care of me and nursed me back to health. I don't really know if it was something I ate but I now feel officially initiated into Haiti!

Thought I would share some photos...
(please enjoy these because they took about 4 hours to load)


neighborhood shop- I am told it is a welding shop. (ironic?)
I want to be this woman- she has her hand on the bucket holding a pile of sticks in the picture but she walked the whole street balancing it on her head. People walk all over town like this! Done selling for the day? Pile your shop on top of your head and walk home. It doesn't look that hard... I haven't seen anyone drop anything. I am going to practice the art. Just you wait, I am coming out of Logan airport with my suitcase balanced perfectly on my head.
classic white girl with child photo.
but i have fallen in love with this one- she may be balanced on the top of my head while exiting Logan airport as well...

oh just me and tara enjoying a sunset.
What a nice 'Haitian glow' you have! It is sweat.
Always sweat.

more feeding program kiddies.

Oh just your average trip to the market.

Water is sold in bags here. this little one has a bacterial infection all over his face. something a simple antibiotic would clear up- no money for such a thing.
add your own caption.
I know, I know. EVERYTHING has Jesus written on it here. Almost every car, truck and tap-tap (mix between a bus and taxi) has 'Merci Jesus' written on it. I will try to take more pictures but usually I am holding on for dear life while driving- the moment is not opportune for a photo.
My new neighbors. I am getting used to goats roaming the lands (and chickens, dogs and the occassional rats). Who owns the goats? I am told, try to steal one and you will find out.

3 comments:

  1. you are giving us such a good look into the Haitian life. It is almost like we are there with you. Your blog is like my morning coffee pick-me-up. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post Kaitlyn! I can completely relate to the "holding on for dear life while driving"!!! At first I thought our tap-tap driver was just really terrible but then I realized that's just normal driving! I would just close my eyes and hope we got there ok! Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes. love it! Water is sold in little bags here too! Guatemalans seem to be big on bags...bags of mayonnaise, bags of ketchup, and bags of juice are sold on every street corner. love the pics.

    ReplyDelete