Thursday, September 16, 2010

my project

Guess how old she is? Did you guess 2 yrs? She is 2 but her birth certificate says she is 3.

She got into some stickers.


Trash in the streets.





Neighborhood kids.



my biggest overarching project these past 2 weeks has been collecting information and creating a MASSIVE application for an official orphanage license from the government. You can function without one (like this orphanage has been for the past 6 yrs) but gaining this license provides more cooperation with the government. And I can see why it has taken so long! Just creating this application could be a full time job.

So I hunkered down determined to get this application done by the time I leave in December...

Task 1 (out of about 100): Collect childs information and collect the information of a relative. Basically we need someone to sign a paper saying that they authorize the child to be in our custody. Easy, right?

Well, the first step to collecting this information would be their birth certificate. So I pull out the first birth certificate- born in December 2007- but I am clearly looking at a 5-6 yr old girl? I ask the Director about this oddity? Come to find out that most of the kids don't know their birthdates because they were just dropped off here and they had to buy birth certificates later. Some of them can have errors due to oversight.

Next, I am to find out mother and father's name, which I can find on most birth certificates. But more importantly, are they alive or dead? Picture this: My first day on the job I go around to each child, bend down and say, Sweetie do you know if your mom is alive or passed away? Most kids know the answer... some do not.

But these kids are orphans? Aren't all their parents passed away? No- about half of them do have a parent living but can not afford to keep them so their only hope is to give them to the orphanage. In that case, I must label them on the official form: Abandoned.

if the child is actually abandoned I must give an explanation as to where the parent is and if they are able to testify that they actually did abandon the child. So I sit there and write official things such as: "child's parent sold them to slave labor for $10" "child's parent dropped them off in the middle of gang-infested territory to die. Her aunt saved her and brought her to the orphanage." "Father dropped child off 5 years ago and has not been back to visit since." "Child was found begging in streets- parents visit once a year."

For those that do have known relatives I need an address, phone number and ID #. Simple task, right? So far, only ONE relative has given me an actual address- WITH NUMBERS. All the other "addresses" consist of a street name or area. Most people do not have phones. Hardly anyone has any form of ID.

Next, if I can not call these relatives on the phone I am to go find them. Yesterday I am with a 14 yr-old girl on the crowded streets of Port-Au-Prince, climbing over piles and piles of trash saying, Is that your mom? Is that your mom? (who am I? Oprah?!) We did not find her.

It is hard to wrap my brain around all of this but the real shocker of it all: The kids.

These kids are amazing. What they have been through and who they are is astounding. I have yet to figure out how they do it. They are loving and kind. They cuddle up next to you and give you sweet kisses on the cheek. They dance to Justin Bieber. They treat each other kindly. They praise God with every inch of their being. They laugh, they play.

I am starting to realize I would be a fool to think I could ever teach them or heal them in any way... they are the ones teaching and healing me.

Please get on your knees tonight and thank God for these beautiful children.

1 comment:

  1. SUPER post, Kait. You are being faithful to what God has called you to do in this season! Keep leaning into HIM and he will continue to heal and teach and love on you. Praying for you and all today. xoxo.

    ReplyDelete