Let me introduce Linda Stovall. The sweet woman who dropped of LOADS of supplies on Tuesday.( if you missed it)
An email she sent out to her friends about the experience:
Before this week, my claim to fame had been hearing Johnny Olson say, "Linda Stovall, come on down!" many years ago when I got to be a contestant on The Price is Right. This week I was blessed to fly to Port-au-Prince, Haiti, with my hand-selected clothes for 18 precious girls. And now I want to say, "Whoever you are, go on down!" This trip was the highlight of my old life! If you have spare AAdvantage miles, you can fly round trip for 25,000 and carry two 50-pound bags free. The flights are very full, so make your reservation early. I wasn't early enough and actually had to use 25,000 miles just for the return trip, thus qualifying this as "sacrificial giving!"
By now you have probably read of the circuitous route that led me to Kaitlyn Evans, my very special contact in Haiti. If not, please go to kaitlynevans.blogspot.com. Kaitlyn is working at an orphanage calledThe Lighthouse in Port-au-Prince. She met us at the airport in a fancy truck (definitely kidding), loaded our boxes and duffel bag, and delivered us in said fancy truck to the departure area. My accompanying angel on this trip was Kara Smith, AA flight attendant, who opened many doors for me. Kara and I were only in P-A-P four hours and were so sorry we didn't get to go visit the Lighthouse. We want to do that next time. Kaitlyn was gracious enough to bring three of the amazing Lighthouse children to the airport as a surprise for us.
Looking back I surmise now that Kaitlyn was sort of joking when she said in her blog that if you wanted to help, buy a ticket and fly some clothes down! But...I'm not joking! Try it! It was a great adventure which left us feeling so exhilarated. What a privilege to have any part in the mission of this wonderful orphanage. And the trip was really easy and pleasant. If you are interested in going, I would love to share details of our experience. My email is mimiljls@aol.com. Please put "Haiti trip" in the subject line.
From November 20th to January 9th there will be an embargo on boxes carried into P-A-P. We will take all big duffel bags on any future trips we make. A couple of people have suggested we might find them cheap at the army surplus store.
This verse sums up my experience, "Now to Him who by the power at work within us is able to do far more abundantly than all we ask or imagine, to Him be glory....in Christ Jesus....for ever and ever. Amen." Ephesians 3:20
Joyfully,
Linda Stovall
No comments:
Post a Comment