Friday, November 5, 2010

Hurricane

Most of you have been praying for a massive hurricane that was supposed to hit Haiti today...
Schools have been cancelled for two days to prepare, the US Navy docked a ship full of emergency supplies, buses loaded up Haitians from tent cities to evacuate, twitter was blowing up,  we all prepared for the worst.

It was a horrible feeling waiting for a large amount of potential deaths... waiting and waiting. helpless.

But you all started praying. We all started praying.

I was forwarded this email from a meteorologist.

"A quick update on the storm. It looks like the absolute best case possible for Port-Au-Prince, given the circumstances. You see, there’s a place within the dirty side of a hurricane I’d call a “happy medium.” This isn’t a real weather term, just the way I’d describe it to a non-meteorologist.

If you’re too close to the center, you get whacked with torrential rains and damaging winds. If you’re too far from the center, you get stuck in several hours worth of drenching tropical showers. But there’s a happy medium, right in between the two, that spares you the high winds AND the continuous onslaught of heavy rains. That’s where Port-Au-Prince finds itself today. Tomas is collapsing rapidly this afternoon, and while you’ll still get some heavy rain at times the next few days, you’ll likely catch large breaks in between those heavy spurts.

I know it’s still bad, but if the storm were 100 miles farther away or 100 miles closer it would have been unbelievable worse. One hundred miles may seem like a long distance, but on a planet this size, that’s a hair-width. That’s threading a needle. What I guess I’m trying to say is, there’s a message of mercy somewhere in this." 

How amazing is this??? 

No comments:

Post a Comment