Saturday, November 20, 2010

ouch

At clinic the other day....




me playing doctor. don't tell Brooke

This sweet little thing came and cuddled up next to me on the floor while her brother was being treated. Sometimes I feel like such a celeb being white. Kids always wave at me, touch me or stare. My ego is going to take a real shot when I get back to USA. the first white child I see- what? you don't want to touch my hair? odd.

(the one on the right)

(or braiding my dads arm hair is a fun game too) 

well all that to say, I cuddled with this girl for about thirty minutes and she was perfectly happy to be in my arms. I attempted my butchered Creole and she politely smiled at my mockery of her language. Paddy cake is usually a universal language. 

Eventually, her mother came over and rattled something off to me in Creole. The girl looks up at me with big brown eyes and says, My mom wants to know if you will take me?

ouch, ouch, ouch. 

What do you say to that?? Um, no. 

So many things to take in- As a single, 25 yr-old, could I offer this girl a better life? Define.better.life. 

The mother did come and ask me a second time before she left if we could take her at the orphanage. Translated by her daughter. I just can't imagine ever translating those words from my own mother- My mom wants to know if you will take me? 






No comments:

Post a Comment